Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:41:31 +0900

On 6/27/05, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:
> > But it doesn't do the opposite of split-window...
>
> That's a rather pedantic definition of opposite

No it's not (are you serious?).  "Unsplit window" vaguely implies that
it simply undoes a previous split-window, leaving other windows alone
-- but it doesn't do that, it removes all other windows.  The lack of
symmetry is not subtle.

> and dwelling on such
> pedantry when choosing menu names results in confusion for less
> experienced users, because you're removing helpful associations
> between menu entries in return for absolute correctness.

... and dwelling on "symmetry" when it conflicts with clarity is also
counter-productive.  In many cases there is no perfect name that will
help all people form all the right associations; all we can do is try
to consider all the factors, and come up with something that results
in a minimum of confusion.

-miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.