Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:25:05 +0200

> Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:41:31 +0900
> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Cc: Miles Bader <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
> address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> On 6/27/05, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > But it doesn't do the opposite of split-window...
> >
> > That's a rather pedantic definition of opposite
>
> No it's not (are you serious?).  "Unsplit window" vaguely implies that
> it simply undoes a previous split-window

To me, it means that a window (``frame'' in our parlance) that was
previously split into two or more parts now becomes "unsplit", i.e. we
are left with a frame that has only one window.

> > and dwelling on such
> > pedantry when choosing menu names results in confusion for less
> > experienced users, because you're removing helpful associations
> > between menu entries in return for absolute correctness.
>
> ... and dwelling on "symmetry" when it conflicts with clarity is also
> counter-productive.  In many cases there is no perfect name that will
> help all people form all the right associations; all we can do is try
> to consider all the factors, and come up with something that results
> in a minimum of confusion.

I think "Unsplit" is the most associative name of all those suggested
in this discussion.  Perhaps we should take a user poll to see whose
opinion is closer to them.  Personally, I fully agree with Jason.