Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:46:04 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:28:53 -0400
> Cc: Drew Adams <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Rather than change menu entries's names to less "standard" ones, we should
> change their behavior to better match what users expect.

Yes, I agree.  File->New seems like a case in point.

> As for the "New File" entry, there are several options.  One is to just
> create a new buffer called "New Document" and not attached to any file.
> This mimicks many "CUA-style" systems.  It sucks because it does give us
> a chance to choose a good minor mode, and because we won't be able to
> autosave the file [this latter point could be fixed, of course].
>
> Another option is to prompt for a file name and require confirmation if the
> file already exists.  It's a slightly different behavior than those other
> "CUA-style" systems, but unsuspecting users should hopefully not find
> it confusing, which is all we really care about.

Yet another variety would be to create a buffer which does have a
file, call it "Unnamed" or some such (i.e., in the default directory),
and if such a file already exists, modify it by attaching something
like a number.

> I guess I'm just repeating what Miles and Eli have said.

Ah, so that's why I agree with you ;-)