Re: grep.el regexp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: grep.el regexp
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:52:30 -0400

>> Currently it puts information from different rules on the same line
>> when regexps cover different parts of that line (it works this way due
>> to the font-lock algorithms).

>     And that's correct the thing to do since lines can contain
>     several messages.

> How so?  Can you show me an example?

TeX uses "(<filename>" to say "I'm now beginning to process <filename>" and
then ")" to say "I'm done processing the current file, popping to the
previous one".  So you can have messages like

     (file1 (file2 (file3

     L. 321 Error blabla

     foobar)))

The first line has thus 3 messages which compile.el should notice.
I'm sure there are other examples,

        Stefan