Re: w32-pass-lwindow-to-system does not work as expected

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: w32-pass-lwindow-to-system does not work as expected
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 20:51:53 +0200

> Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 08:54:39 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> And - or do I misunderstand this - more important: what you refer to are
> remapping the *scan codes* and my code used the *virtual keycodes*. That
> is what is used in Emacs today.

The low-level hook you referred to is documented to get scan codes.

See also Jason's message: if lwindow is to be used as a modifier, then
we will have to process other keys in the low-level hook as well.

> >On more general grounds, when Emacs users on other systems complain
> >about trouble with key assignments, they are told to use system tools
> >to reassign keys; we never try to solve such problems in Emacs.  Why
> >do that for MS-Windows?  Shouldn't we simply advise users to use some
> >key remapping tool if they want this feature so badly?
> >
> Perhaps, but is not that on another level? Are we not adressing issues
> within Emacs and how Emacs interacts with the system?

Unfortunately, in this case, this particular system doesn't want Emacs
to get at that key and some other special key combinations.  Since
Emacs users are not the only ones who are pissed off by this
inflexibility, I'm sure there are lots of small proggies written and
floating on the Internet that will remap lwindow and other special
keys such that applications, including Emacs, can receive them.  I say
let's advise our users to solve their problems outside Emacs, like we
do on GNU/Linux, where we tell them to use loadkeys and xmodmap.