Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:39:14 +0300

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:03:37 +0200
> Cc: Emacs Devel <address@hidden>, Jason Rumney <address@hidden>

> >>Then why install them in the first place?
> >>

> > I am sorry but this does not make sense.
>
> Why bother to install software if it is not intended to make any
> difference?

David, please stop this attitude.  This thread is complicated even
without nitpicking, and the fact that neither you nor Lennart are
native English speakers doesn't help.  Did you consider the
possibility that you simply misunderstand each other?  If you keenly
don't understand something, may I suggest that next time you ask a
question instead of posting ridicule?

What Lennart was saying (AFAIU) is that installing a program should
not affect the behavior of the parts of the system which have nothing
to do with the program being installed.  For example, installing
Ghostscript should not affect an FTP client such as NcFTP in any way.
If you modify PATH (or any other global environment variable), the
potential for the unwanted effect is there.

Now, I'm not saying that I could sign my name under this principle,
but it certainly isn't ridiculous.