Re: header-line-format vs. window fringes

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: header-line-format vs. window fringes
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:54:52 +0200

On 8/2/05, Richard M. Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> The fringes always occupy an even multiple of a "column",
> which I believe is the width of space in the default font.

I don't think this is true, because at the very least you can manually
set the width of the fringes to any pixel width with
`set-window-fringes'.

> So you could just use the right number of spaces.

I already discovered the :align-to spec of the display property (and
Stefan pointed to it too); that's the right way to align a ruler's
contents, it seems.

> The doc string of frame-char-width seems to be out of date.

I didn't know about that function.

> I think this is what it should say.

I'll change it.

--