Re: no such var: user-emacs-directory

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: no such var: user-emacs-directory
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:33:31 -0700 (PDT)

> `scheme-start-file' in cmuscheme.el now references `user-emacs-directory'
> but that variable is never defined anywhere.  the NEWS blurb mentions it,
> although the docstring says "~/.emacs.d".
>
> if the fix is to define `user-emacs-directory', probably many places that
> hardcode "~/.emacs.d" could benefit from using the new variable.  but
> that's more work than simply hardcoding it in cmuscheme.el as well (and
> updating NEWS), so i propose to do the latter unless there are objections.

I actually have a variable in my .emacs for this:
`emacs-hidden-directory-base' (usually set to "~/.emacs.d/").  I then put
backups in "backup/" under that, and auto-save-files as ".saves-*" under
it.  My reason is to support that file structure even on systems without a
useful home directory, but it might be generally useful.  I'd be in favor
of defining that variable; using it everywhere instead of ".emacs.d" would
be trivial.  If this sounds good, I can make a patch (either now, or after
22.1).

Davis Herring

shipping.