FOR-RELEASE.W32

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: FOR-RELEASE.W32
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:14:44 +0200

As Richard has said that Emacs-on-Windows problems shouldn't delay the
release, Lennart and I have been thinking of adding a file
(tentatively named admin/FOR-RELEASE.W32) listing things that would be
nice to have before releasing a binary tarball for Windows.

Of course, there's no guarantee any of the listed things would be implemented...

Any objection/addition/change to name/intent/contents?

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

This file contains task needed before the release on W32.

* TO BE DONE SHORTLY BEFORE RELEASE

* NEW FEATURES

* FATAL ERRORS

** Emacs crashes accessing JPEG images.

Emacs on Windows can crash when reading a JPEG image; the reason is
having two different versions of the file-handling run-time code, one
on the Emacs executable and the other on the image library, which can
happen when mixing a MSVC build of Emacs with a MinGW build of the
image libraries.  The fix is straightforward and has already been
posted on the developers' list, but it is on the back burner waiting
for a legal comment by RMS or an alternate implementation (we're
speaking about 30 lines of code or so).

* BUGS

** make-network-process consumes excessive CPU.

TCP/IP server processes created with `make-network-process' consume
excessive CPU on some Windows environments.  CPU time uses of 50%
and 100% have been observed on different Window XP configurations.

* DOCUMENTATION

** W32 specifics are not all documented.

Local variables:
mode: outline
End: