Re: A few questions about desktop.el

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: A few questions about desktop.el
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:59:35 +0200

On 8/9/05, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> I tend to use make-variable-buffer-local when a variable is tracking
> some state of a buffer, such that it would always be an error if two
> buffers shared such a variable.

Sure. For example, any variable that tracks something related to
external characteristics of the buffer (or the buffer's associated
file, if any) must usually be automatically buffer-local.

In the case at hand, I think most buffers will want the same
`desktop-locals-to-save'. I can imagine buffer X in mode M wanting to
save its value of LOCAL-VAR-1, and buffer Y also in mode M wanting to
save its own LOCAL-VAR-1, but it will be less frequent for buffer X to
want to save LOCAL-VAR-1 and for buffer Y *not* wanting to save it.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u