Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 20:49:25 -0400

>> I'd rather see "server-name" which could be a path to a unix socket (like
>> now) or just a relative name of a unix socket (like now) or the name of
>> a server to be found in ~/.emacs.servers.  I.e. if there is no unix socket
>> of that name, lookup ~/.emacs.servers for TCP servers.

> Another thing: that would mean having to decide whether you're
> creating an AF_UNIX or AF_INET server,

My text above refers to the emacsclient case.  For the server, of course you
want the choice between Unix and TCP to be done explicitly via a configuration.

> and if the former, connection from some non-Unix emacsclients (like
> Windows) would be impossible. Is that a bug or a feature?

If the socket is a Unix socket, connection is not possible remotely, so
every client will necessarily be a (or rather THE) unix client.

> I'm really not convinced than keeping both Unix sockets and TCP/IP
> sockets is a good idea. I'm open to being convinced otherwise, though.

The new TCP code is unlikely to be as problem free, so for the sake of
ensuring that what used to work still works, I'd recommend you write your
patch such that when the old code worked, it will work just as smoothly as
before (i.e. use Unix sockets by default when available) and only when the
old code didn't work use TCP sockets (which then won't be much worse than
before unless you introduced a security hole).

        Stefan