Re: Emacs icons

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs icons
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:42:15 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:

   > The idea of using an E on a gnu is ok semantically.  Whether it looks
   > better than just an E, I am not sure.

   Attached is an idea ;-) It don't look too bad when resized as a 16x16
icon.

This could make an attractive _logo_, but it would _not_ work as a 16x16
icon, IMO (see attached). Clever combination of E with gnu head - bravo!
But, as Richard pointed out, that makes it hard to distinguish the E.

Let's not forget the story of "The Gnu Who Became a Mushroom" - that's an
invaluable icon lesson. If shrinking a gnu head can turn it into a mushroom,
there is no hope for shrinking E-gnus and other such artistic subtleties. In
particular, shrunken heads seldom appear brilliant.

16x16 is a hard nut to crack.

Here is one crack, the 48x48 version and a 16x16 version. BTW if anyone want to play with this some of the Gimp xcf files are at the same directory as the images for the web page.

PNG image

PNG image