Re: grep-use-null-device

From: Emilio Lopes
Subject: Re: grep-use-null-device
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:29:49 +0200

David Kastrup writes:

> I think what rather should be done is that standard input on the
> grep process gets closed.  That requires no special options, and it
> will lead to a sensible result without obscure extra options.

This seems a rather clean solution.  Karl Chen pointed out that Kevin
Rodgers already posted such a patch to this list.  Here is the URL:

   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/33146

I'll try his patch out.

> grep-use-null-device is just for getting file names on matches, not
> for dealing with bad commands.

That was my confusion.  It saved me a lot of times as I forgot to
provide grep with filenames, so that for me it was its obvious purpose.
A nice hack indeed.