Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:12:27 +0200

Richard M. Stallman wrote:

you at a minibuffer prompt just hold down backspace to delete entered characters (this is quite common behaviour in situations like that) then Emacs will delete all characters up to the prompt and then show "Text is read-only".

Now I understand the issue.  What change could we make?

We could change the error message to say "Prompt is read-only".
Would that make it clearer, do you think?
Thanks, but as I tried to explain I do not think it is the best to do so. My suggestion is two make two changes:

1) Change the default for Inviolable to on.

2) Do not show the message "Prompt is read-only" when Inviolable is on. It is just disturbing and unexpected in my opinion. It is simply the usual behavior for most applications that you are not able to delete the prompt.