Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:16:36 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

       Anyway, it would seem that one way or the other, it should be possible
       to come up with a single name that can be reasonably understood by
       everybody, regardless of the operating system they are using.

   The current situation is not a problem, merely slightly suboptimal.
   Trying to solve it could easily be a big time sink, so I ask people
   not to jump into this issue.

It is not clear to me what the time sink you are referring to is.  The
confusion caused by the current duplicate menu entries and by the fact
that Emacs' "What's This?" behaves very differently from the MS Windows-KDE
feature of the same name can be trivially solved by having one entry
with a name that is understandable to everybody.  I proposed:

Describe Key or Menu Item

or if the "What's This?" is really that important:

What's This? (Describe Key)

I do not like the latter very much but it would still be way less
confusing than the current situation.

Or is the time sink you are referring to implementing a true "What's This"
command?  I definitely was not trying to suggest doing that before the
release.

Sincerely,

Luc.