Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:29:15 -0400

    When you click on the "What's this" function in Windoze (typically not
    available as a menu item, but as a [?] icon), the cursor changes shape
    to an arrow with a question mark, and then the user can (in principle)
    click on anything in the application window to get help for that item
    (typically an input field).  So it gives help for _visible_items_, not
    key bindings!

Does anyone disagree with this description?

A menu item is somewhat of a visible item, but it isn't an ordinary
one.  So this seems to be strong support for the conclusion that the
existing "What's This" menu item is not really useful.

We may as well just delete it; this wasn't put in to fill a vital need,
only to take advantage of an apparent opportunity.

    I think Luc's solution is best: Have a single menu item (not two that do the
    same thing - that's crazy), called "Describe Key or Menu Item".

That renaming is ok with me.