Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:22:09 +0300

> Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:23:35 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>    Cynicism aside, what you say is a general complaint about our doc
>    strings, not specific to the menu item we are discussing.
>
> What I am saying is that the really useful commands for beginners are
> C-K and C-F, not C-k and C-f.

Surely, it should be possible to explain what some menu or button does
without going to the manual!

> The latter are often more for Elisp programmers, or at least for
> more advanced users

I don't think that was the intent.  I think doc strings are supposed
to be for unsophisticated users as well.

> (or a last resort if C-K or C-F do not find any docs in the
> manuals).

I think it was supposed to be the other way around: you first read the
doc string, and if that is not enough information, go to the manual.

Perhaps Richard could give the definitive answer about the intent of
the doc strings.