Re: Options menu is broken on CVS

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Options menu is broken on CVS
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 04:14:23 -0400

    You can replace the deleted code with the comment (of course, only if the
    location of the comment makes sense: if you delete a whole function at the
    toplevel, replacing it with a toplevel comment won't be much help), or you
    can put the info in the ChangeLog.
    It's a fundamental problem and there's not much we can do about that,
really.

I'd rather have explanations in comments in the code than in
ChangeLog.  In the code, it is easier to see.  If the change was to delete
a function, and it needs an explanation, you could put the explanation where
the function used to be called.

In ChangeLog it can be useful to mention the date and sender of the
bug report.  That would be brief, but enough to find the discussion
straightforwardly.