Re: Release timelines and Unicode2 branch

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Release timelines and Unicode2 branch
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:38:15 -0400

On Sep 13, 2005, at 12:25 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

What I'm getting
at is, is it reasonable to port Emacs-on-Aqua to this branch now, or
should I stick with the to-be-22.1 code

If the unicode-2 branch would make your job much easier, I think going
    with the branch would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

To release this code in a modified version, which runs only on
a non-free system, would be deleterious to the goals of the GNU Project.
Please don't ever suggest such a thing to anyone.

IIUC Adrian Robert works mainly on the GNUstep version, which is free and
runs on free systems.

That's correct -- or actually the GNUstep "version" and the OS X one are the same code, with a few ifdefs here and there. The APIs provided by GNUstep and Cocoa are almost identical (or at least largely overlapping; please see http://gnustep.org for more explanation) The new port (emacs-app.sf.net) should always run, like Emacs-on-Aqua, on GNUstep _and_ OS X. (The "-on-Aqua" name is a historical artifact that does not reflect the port's actual character.)

To ease development of the upcoming Emacs.app, I do intend to host and distribute the code, including both the GNU Emacs core and the port code, from SourceForge (emacs-app.sf.net). However contributors will be limited to those willing to (a) preserve GNUstep functionality (as opposed to adding code which uses Cocoa-only APIs and making it run only on OS X), and (b) assign copyright to the FSF, so that an eventual integration can be achieved. If/when that day comes, hosting on SourceForge will cease.

If someone would prefer some alternative (e.g., using 'arch' in some funky way), please let me know. I'm just assuming no one is going to want the Cocoa/GNUstep code anywhere near the main Emacs tree itself until it's quite stable.

-Adrian