Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?

From: Christian Schlauer
Subject: Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 19:30:16 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Christian Schlauer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> We should find out exactly what GNOME uses (it may be a fraction of
>>> the font height for example) and try to be consistent with that.
>>
>> Will you pursue that? I'd really like to see this changed ...
>
> gtk+/gtk/gtktooltips.c has a hardcoded "border width" of 4.
>
> It is difficult to tell whether gtk's "border-width" is equivalent to
> Emacs' internal-border-width, or internal-border-width + border-width,
> since I can't put both tooltips next to each other for a careful
> comparison.

I looked at GTK 2.6.4 (GNOME 2.10) tooltips now as well. All I can
tell is that Emacs' tooltips are larger at the moment (the font is
larger, too).

But I wonder if one should really stick to the GNOME padding: I looked
for tooltips in two GNOME applications, gedit and nautilus. I actually
expected some tooltips in nautilus, for example when the files are
viewed in `icon view' and I hover over a file icon, or when the column
is too small in `list view' in order to show the full file name. No
tooltip displayed the full file name (in list view) or the size of the
file (in icon view).

So what I think is that GNOME applications use tooltips in the menu
and toolbar area only, while Emacs excessively uses tooltips even in
the buffer. The latter makes me think that Emacs tooltips should have
little padding in order to not hide too much in the buffer, _ignoring_
how GNOME-tooltips look as they aren't used excessively in the main
`working window' of GNOME applications.

When you change `internal-border-width' to 2, what do you think of it?
Lennart wrote that this is much better, too.

(You use w32 too -- have you looked at the tooltips in Mozilla
Firefox? They are small with a small font size and little padding on
Windows, and they stay open for about 4 seconds -- try it on
<URL:http://www.emacswiki.org>, hover over `SiteMap'! That's a perfect
tooltip, IMO. On Ubuntu, Firefox is integrated in GNOME though and
uses GNOME-sized tooltips.)
--
Christian Schlauer