Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 14:16:23 -0500 (CDT)

Karl Berry wrote:

   As far as recognizing @headings goes, I don't feel strongly either way.
   The matching-line-length heuristic seems about as good as it will get.

It is trying to do the impossible.  The problem is that we are dealing
with plain text, not formatted text with special markup for titles.

It does not fix all potential bugs, it only reduces their frequency.
And this type of bug can be very nasty when it does occur.  Even with
the equal length heuristic, the situation leading to bugs is not
really that excessively unlikely in certain situations, like, for
instance, quoting program output or input inside @verbatim or
@verbatiminclude.  Several computer programs generate lines of one of
the four special characters.  The program might deliberately make such
lines of equal length as the preceding line (as Makeinfo does when it
underlines titles) or this might happen by coincidence.

I believe that to deliberately fail to eliminate the possibility of
bugs, even infrequent bugs, one needs a _really_ good reason.

If it did not cause any bugs, then the best way to display @headings
titles in the node body would be a matter of taste.  Even disregarding
the possibility of bugs, I prefer to see them underlined and
unprocessed.  But whatever one's taste, the special processing of the
@headings titles serves no truly important purpose.  Certainly not
important enough to deliberately fail to eliminate the possibility of
nasty bugs.

Sincerely,

Luc.