Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?

From: Christian Schlauer
Subject: Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:33:22 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> In the extremely rare instances where I use the Emacs menu bar, I find
> many of the provided help-echo messages very useful and often
> absolutely necessary for a correct understanding.

I agree with you.

> This entire thread is about the fact that tooltips popping up in your
> face are annoying.

I don't agree. Only in Ediff-mode they are annoying, otherwise I find
them just too big ;-)

> I know, that is why I disable Tooltip Mode. I get exactly the same
> text in the echo area, where it does not annoy me.

But do you read them in the echo area? I disabled tooltip-mode, but
I'm not used to move my eyes up and down between the mouse pointer
somewhere in the buffer to the corresponding tooltip displayed in the
echo area. This is really inconvenient, IMHO. So turning off
tooltip-mode means that I won't have any use of them: too much eye
work to read them down there!

(I'm surprised that it is a big difference (for me) between moving the
eyes from left to right over a distance of about 70 characters (i.e.,
reading -> easy) and moving the eyes up and down over a distance of
about 43 rows (i.e., reading the tooltips of toolbar icons in the echo
area -> uncomfortable).)
--
Christian Schlauer