RE: Dedicated *Completions* frame iconified but not de-iconified

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Dedicated *Completions* frame iconified but not de-iconified
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:30:46 -0700

    I recently started to show the *Completions* buffer in a dedicated
    frame:

    (setq same-window-buffer-names
          (remove "*Completions*" same-window-buffer-names))
    (add-to-list 'special-display-buffer-names
             '("*Completions*" ((height . 20))))

    After clicking on an alternative with the mouse iconifies the
    completions frame[1].  But the next time a completions buffer is
    generated, the completions frame is not de-iconified.  I think the
    frame should be made visible.

    I tried to put `make-frame-visible' in `completion-setup-hook' without
    success and I didn't find the right place in `simple.el'.  Can anyone
    point me to the right direction?

I don't claim this is the way to go for everyone, but you might want to look
at how I deal with this in my library `oneonone.el'. I've long had a
dedicated *Completions* frame, and there are a few twists and turns you
might want to keep in mind. Anyway, in case it helps:

Library: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/oneonone.el.
Explanation:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Help_and_Completions_Frames.

See, in particular, function 1on1-display-*Completions*-frame - it should
help with your problem.