Re: rcirc.el

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: rcirc.el
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 06:08:54 +0900

2005/10/15, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:
> I think it's best if the packages keep their names when they get integrated,
> unless the name poses a real problem

I think it depends a lot on exactly what the name is, and the package's history.

For packages with an independent history before being integrated, it
makes sense to keep the name, because people know it by that already,
and keeping the old name makes it clear that it was _that_ package
which now is part of emacs (this is especially useful if it will
continue to be independently distributed).

Also, for packages with "ideosyncratic" behavior -- including cases
where there really is no obvious "expected" behavior -- it makes sense
to keep a slightly unique name, because that leaves room for later
additions with different behavior.

But for packages with no significant independent history, which
perform a fairly generic function in "the obvious way", calling every
function "joes-great-foo-mode-asdf" instead of just "foo-asdf" is
simply noise.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.