lisp/toolbar is gone (was: Shall we use etc/images more?)

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: lisp/toolbar is gone (was: Shall we use etc/images more?)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:21:49 -0700

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     1. Move *all* of the images from lisp, lisp/toolbar, and lisp/mail to
>        etc/images.
>
>     2. Rename any file with an underscore to one with a dash and update
>        affected source files (affects MH-E, Gnus, info.el, tool-bar.el).
>
>     3. Move the gud-* files to etc/images/gud, strip the gud- prefix, and
>        update lisp/progmodes/gud.el.
>
>     4. Move the sb-* files to etc/images/speedbar, strip the sb- prefix, and
>        update lisp/speedbar.el.
>
>     5. Because tool-bar.el will be the only file left in the lisp/toolbar
>        directory, move it to lisp and delete lisp/toolbar.
>
> These plans sound good to me.  And speedbar has just been updated,
> so there is no need to wait any longer before you do this.

This has been done. Please run "cvs up -dP" to create the new
directories in etc/images and to prune lisp/toolbar.

lisp/ldefs-boot.el contains the string:

  :26219:;;;;;;  "toolbar/tool-bar.el" (17134 20613))

Is it worthwhile to check in the current loaddefs.el in its place?

etc/NEWS contains the following:

  *** The function `find-image' now searches in etc/images/ and etc/.
  The new variable `image-load-path' is a list of locations in which to
  search for image files.  The default is to search in etc/images, then
  in etc/, and finally in the directories specified by `load-path'.
  Subdirectories of etc/ and etc/images are not recursively searched; if
  you put an image file in a subdirectory, you have to specify it
  explicitly; for example, if an image is put in etc/images/foo/bar.xpm:

Is it worthwhile mentioning that all of the images have been moved?
Maybe not, but I think I should add a list of filenames that had
underscores that now have dashes since users will need to know to
update their code.

If you know of any changes that are required to the Emacs and Elisp,
please let me know which section you think would be best.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD