Re: compress files patch for mac/make-package

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: compress files patch for mac/make-package
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:16:01 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> First, there are some .el files that don't have a corresponding .elc
> file; I think such .el file should not be compressed, since then Emacs
> will not work without gzip being available.

That's pretty obvious...

> Second, I think this compression should not be done on non-Posix
> systems where gzip is not available.

How would you compress files on systems where gzip isn't available
anyway?

> And third, I think that we should not compress as part of tarring the
> distribution.

make-dist and `make install' are completely independent.

(Besides, compressing the .el files inside the tarball would make the
compression less efficient and result in a bigger tarball.)

--
Romain Francoise <address@hidden> | I just thought I'd go out
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | with a little bit more style.