Re: Searching in the minibuffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Searching in the minibuffer
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:38:04 +0300

>     Having a delay in the minibuffer between typing C-s and seeing
>     the search string highlighted, or requiring to type another key
>     to exit the delay, would be a nuisance.
> I agree.  If we display the search prompt at the end, clearly that
> should be done after highlighting the string that was
> found, so that it imposes no delay on seeing the highlighting.

Displaying the search prompt at the end of the minibuffer could be
placed in `isearch-update' after highlighting the search string.
But there is another problem - with lazy-highlighting.  `minibuffer-message'
doesn't allow lazy-highlighting timers to start.  This causes other
occurrences of the search string to be highlighted only after 2 sec delay,
and not 0.25 sec initial delay as specified by the default value of

However, `isearch-update' can be changed to start the first
lazy-highlighting loop in the minibuffer immediately without timers.

Juri Linkov