Re: gutenberg-coding.el -- coding system for Project Gutenberg files

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: gutenberg-coding.el -- coding system for Project Gutenberg files
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:29:36 -0400

    > Don't those files have a (set of) standardized extensions?

    The normal files (the ones I'm interested in) are .txt.  (There's
    others like tex or html, txt is the majority.)

We could do this only for files called .txt, I suppose.
That would not eliminate false matches, but would limit them.

    I did want to do something tighter for the first-line match, or locate
    the end of the header info part, but the format varies too much.

How about if you send Project Gutenberg a suggestion asking them if
they would make the format more standard, to help programs DTRT?
If you offer one or two specific suggestions, that would be useful.