Re: Defaults for set-variable

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Defaults for set-variable
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 23:05:32 +0900

2005/11/1, David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> And I am uneasy about giving a low level primitive this sort of
> accessibility.

Especially since the name "set" would be so tempting for users (and
familiar from other programs) -- I can imagine new users always using
"M-x set" instead of set-variable (not even realizing the latter
exists) simply because it's the first thing that gets completed to,
and then being annoyed at the presence of all those obscure and
useless variable names that completion shows them...

-miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.