Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:33:06 +0000

On 11 Nov 2005, at 08:47, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

The ^L is there so that one could use forward-page to quickly move to
the next group.

That's great, but it shouldn't be displayed.

Isn't there a nicer way the groups can be separated?

We could use overlays to display the ^L as something more visually
appealing, while leaving ^L in the buffer.

Sounds like a complicated solution to me. But if that's the only way...

I also get a long list with latin key characters that are bound to
encoded-kbd-self-insert-ccl.

I think this is a bug.

As a novice user when trying out the describe-bindings function, I
would see that there is a lot of uninteresting technical stuff at the
beginning

Please be more specific: what uninteresting technical stuff is there
at the beginning that you want to remove?

the bug described before.

We could modify the help echo string to mention "shortcuts".  I don't
think the name of the menu item itself should change, since this is
Emacs terminology, and newbies need to learn it as fast as possible.

Unless newbies are successful at finding what they want (help on functions assigned to keys), there is no learning effect. They will just skip over "Key Bindings" if they don't know what a binding is.

And sorry, the echo area is not enough.

1. It is not displayed on my system when going through the menus.
2. the echo area is far away from the menus (visually), and I wouldn't be used to check it anyways when going through menus. Menu strings have to be self explanatory.

I think a useful compromise would be "Keyboard Commands". I don't think that this is inconsistent with Emacs terminology.

Could you please drop this signature stuff?  It's very long and thus
annoying.  TIA.

It's an attachment and shouldn't be displayed on your screen.
Most mail readers will display "signed".
This uses the S/MIME standard, which is fairly wide-spread.

I support encrypted e-mail and electronic signatures. You can get a free X.509 certificate (an open standard) at Thawte, and if you meet me in person one day and bring your passport, I can even notarize your certificate for you.