RE: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:35:16 -0800

    > IIUC, we would have the same problem using Outline mode for
    > `describe-mode'. If the outline were all closed up, by
    > default, then it would appear just like the TOC. If it were
    > only partly closed up, then the problem you mention
    > would be worse.
    >
    > And worse would happen when any of the outline lines were
    > opened - even more stuff would be pushed off the screen.

    One possibility is to use the speedbar to display the TOC.

In what you quoted, I was speaking to the problem Miles sees for
`describe-mode'. I don't see that as a problem for `describe-bindings' -
there are only four or five TOC entries.

And some people might not want to use speedbar.

This seems so simple, to me - just four or five links that open to buffers
showing the corresponding bindings. Why look to heavy-handed solutions like
outline-mode and speedbar to help here? That's overkill, IMO.