Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:54:19 -0500

    > Isn't there a nicer way the groups can be separated?

    We could use overlays to display the ^L as something more visually
    appealing, while leaving ^L in the buffer.

^L is the standard way to indicate page boundaries.
If it is nicer to display them another way,
we could change redisplay to show ^L differently.
For instance, as a horizontal line.

I think it can wait till after the release.

    [A compromise might be to display a ^L at the beginning of the line,
    but a magic-horizontal-rule following it.

That could be a good variant of that feature.

    Here's one more idea for displaying the bindings (it could also be
    useful for what display-mode shows): put the help buffer into Outline
    mode and use Outline-style headings instead of the ^L delimiters.
    Initially, the display could be collapsed so that only the headings
    are shown; users then could use Outline commands both for movement
    between groups of bindings and for showing only those groups they are
    interested in.

That is an interesting idea.  However, I am concerned that the need
to understand Outline mode will be a big obstacle to making use of
the information.

    > Couldn't there be a list of all groups in the beginning, with links
    > going to the bindings belonging to the group?

    Like in the *Help* buffer created by `C-h m'?

Something like that would be ok with me, as a general idea.
Whether it would really be an improvement depends on working out
the details in a good way.