Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 05:48:37 -0500

    This is about a inconsistency in emacs which should be fixed.  calc is
    part of GNU emacs and it uses and documents M-# as a global binding,
    while gnus -- part of gnu emacs, too -- binds it locally.

I don't think I ever approved allocating M-# globally to this purpose.

    However, I think if one _must_ be changed, it should be calc, becuase
    calc until now has always been an extra add-on to Emacs, and for that
    reason probably used by many fewer people than gnus (which has been a
    part of emacs for a long time).

That is probably what happened: when I decided to include Calc in
Emacs, I didn't know that Calc had a global binding in it.

Jay asked:

    Are there any conventions for global keybindings?

Yes--you should always ask me.