Re: Time to install the new icons

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Time to install the new icons
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:45:40 +0200

> From: Bill Wohler <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:01:38 -0800
>
> One question I have is why are these icons in nt/icons? It seems to me
> that etc/images is a better place for emacs.ico. Rather than  litter
> etc/images with the old icons, these could go in etc/images/museum or
> etc/images/archives or some other reasonably named sub-directory.
>
> I also see images in etc, msdos, etc/tree-widget, and src/bitmaps. It
> would be nice if all of these were in etc/images too.

The MS-DOS and Windows icons are in separate directories because they
are installed by "make install" in appropriate places where the system
and users look for icons if they wish to override the default icon.
Lumping these icons with all the others might produce unnecessary
confusion on those platforms.  It will also run the risk of breaking
the fragile build and installation scripts on those platforms.

Please, can we drop this subject that tries to ``fix'' that which
ain't broken?  It wastes valuable energy and time, which are better
applied to moving towards the pretest and the ensuing release.