Re: address@hidden: tramp sudo:: and version control on RCS root control

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: tramp sudo:: and version control on RCS root controlled files]
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 18:23:08 -0500

    The only solution I can think of would be to have a new
    file-handler-sensitive operation (file-login-name FILE) which returns
    the name of the user under which Emacs accesses the given FILE.  For
    local files, that would be equivalent to user-login-name, for remote
    files it would be the name of the remote user, or "root" if Tramp sudo::
    is involved.

    What do you think?

It seems ok to me, provided it is localized and simple enough
that it isn't a risk to install it now.  Would you like to write
the patch?  It would be necessary to change the Lisp manual too.