Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:08:06 +0000

On 28 Nov 2005, at 22:44, Juri Linkov wrote:

(Recall what the OS X desktop looks like.)

I see this is not possible on OS X.  But then I wonder why do you make
more menu items disabled for non-visible frames in your patch, if on
OS X, where the menu bar always applies to the selected frame, there is
no way to have a menu with disabled items?

The menu-bar doesn't go away when no frame is shown. It is still there, showing the state of the selected frame (even though it is hidden).

And you need the menu bar in this situation, because might need to open a file from the File menu, for example. On most other systems that I know, the application is quit when you close the last window - that is logical because there would be no way to show the menu. That is not the case in general for apps on the Mac. Now, Emacs still quits when you close the last frame. But you can hide it (or minimize it) just fine. That's when you have the menu with the disabled items.