Re: view mode: `q' does not delete frame

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: view mode: `q' does not delete frame
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 10:08:58 -0500

>> I would prefer, of course, that if pop-up-frames = non-nil, the behavior of
>> view-remove-frame-by-deleting would follow automatically (by default).

> Well, I'm not sure about this: is it really true that someone who
> wants view-mode to create a frame for every new buffer in view mode
> would like such frame to automatically go away when they quite view
> mode?

To "go away"?  Probably.
But "to delete"?  No.

I know Drew always wants to delete such frames because his window-manager
and use pattern make it inconvenient to have too many iconified windows.

OTOH with my window manager and my usage pattern, it's the reverse: deleting
frames is a major pain in the rear because when they are re-created, I have
to manually place them again (and set various other attributes like size,
set of workspaces they should appear in, ...).

So we should have a function to "make a frame go away" (probably bury-buffer
or quit-window or both) and use that, and then make this function
customizable so that we can decide whether to delete or to iconify.

        Stefan