Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 21:31:23 +0100

Peter Whaite wrote:

You would also expect something about finding customizations to be in
the info that is displayed when you press the 'Help' button, but there
is nothing obvious.  The documentation for 'customize-apropos' is under
'Specific Customization' which doesn't exactly jump out at you.  How
about renaming it to 'Finding Customizations', and changing the info
node header to 'Finding and Customizing Specific Items'?

There is also no mention of customize-apropos-options,
customize-apropos-groups, or customize-apropos-faces.  There should be.
I have already once proposed and written a new look and feel for the custom buffer. Now is not the time to do that perhaps (and my old patch will not work now), but some simple things can be done now to make the situation a bit better:

*** 1) At the top of the customize buffer there are now two buttons that does not work on the content of the buffer at all. These are

   Invoke [Custom File] for information...
   Invoke [Help] for general information.

Changing the look of this buttons to just underlined text would improve things a lot. They are really just links. Changing "Invoke" to "See" would make it less of a guessing game too.

*** 2) When you click on the "Help" link (button) then the info node "(emacs) Easy Customization" is displayed. I believe the customize-apropos-* functions should be mentioned there, right after "Groups" in the menu at the bottom.