Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 22:25:44 -0600 (CST)

Peter Whaite wrote:

   The documentation for 'customize-apropos' is under
   'Specific Customization' which doesn't exactly jump out at you.  How
   about renaming it to 'Finding Customizations',

That would be misleading, because only a small fraction of that node
is about _finding_ customizations.  Moreover the node does not discuss
what is intended to be the main way to browse and find options,
customize-browse.  On top of that, one should not make node name
changes lightly, because they may break existing links, some of them
in docs not included in the Emacs distribution (and which we hence can
not grep for).

   changing the info node header to 'Finding and Customizing Specific
   Items'?

Less bad, but still somewhat misleading.

   There is also no mention of customize-apropos-options,
   customize-apropos-groups, or customize-apropos-faces.  There should be.

That is easy to do.  I intend to send Richard a proposed set of
changes to man/custom.texi (mostly unrelated to the present
discussion) soon (probably tomorrow) and I can easily include a short
description of these three in `(emacs)Specific Customization'.

Sincerely,

Luc.