Re: Inconsistency in meaning of "user options"

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Inconsistency in meaning of "user options"
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 00:33:00 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:

   Sometimes we use the term "user options" to mean
   "customizable variable" or "variable meant for the user to set".
   But sometimes we use it to mean "any settings you can customize",
   which includes faces as well.

   I think we should make this consistent.  There is more than
   one way to do it; all of them will take work.
   The question is, which one is better?

We discussed this a while back, but I agree that it would be good to come to
a conclusion. Are you proposing that we discuss and decide this _now_, and
make the necessary changes before the 22.1 release?

If so, here are a few thoughts:

- "Option" means choice.
Why do we then have to distinguish between variables and faces? Does not option comprise both? If it does then I think option is a good term to use here.

- If we chose to reserve "user option" for user-settable variables (those
that have `*' as doc-string first char or are defined with defcustom),
Do I misremember, was not those going to be converted to defcustoms, or?

On another subject, I think it's unfortunate that the terms "customize" and
"customizable" have been appropriated for a particular kind of customization
(using Custom buffers) - especially in an editor (++) that is all about
customization (not Customization). It makes communicating about
customization much more complex and confusing. It would be a lot better if
Customize were called Foobar or Whatever.
That would maybe be good. Perhaps could we use these terms?:

1) user options
2) custom options (to be distinguished from "Custom options" ;-)

I guess the meaning here is obvious, but just in case: 1 - those can not be set with Custom, 2 - those can be set with custom.