Re: Inconsistency in meaning of "user options"

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Inconsistency in meaning of "user options"
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 01:23:26 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:

   That would maybe be good. Perhaps could we use these terms?:

   1) user options
   2) custom options (to be distinguished from "Custom options" ;-)

   I guess the meaning here is obvious, but just in case: 1 -
   those can not be set with Custom, 2 - those can be set with custom.

No, the meaning is not obvious, at least in American English. Something that
is "custom" (e.g. a "custom motorcycle") is something that _has been_
customized. The term to use for customizable is "customizable", not
"custom".
Oh thanks, it is a bit hard with a foreign language. I would expect an option that had been changed to be called "customized" perhaps, but not "custom".

easy-customizable option, e-customizable option? (it is more a joke...), custom-customizable option - too long, custom-enabled option, custom-setable option, defcustom option - we actually use this sometimes and I like it. But can the normal user understand that term? custom-enabled seems better to me then, but I do not know what that alludes to for you native english speakers.

It's also not clear to me what you gain by changing "Custom" to "custom", if
your meaning of "custom" is "Custom" (can be set with Custom). My point was
precisely to find some term that is different from "custom", to avoid
confusion.

It was just a joke. I suppose "Custom option" would mean one of those that you use to change the behaviour of Custom with.