re: log-view documentation

From: Aaron S. Hawley
Subject: re: log-view documentation
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:09:10 -0500 (EST)

My copyright papers came back from the FSF copyright clerk.

Here's my current version of documentation for the log-view commands for
inclusion in the Emacs manual.  A "context" patch is attached.

Thanks,
/a

----

  To view the detailed version control status and history of a file,
type @kbd{C-x v l} (@code{vc-print-log}).  It displays the history of
changes to the current file, including the text of the log entries.  The
output appears in a separate window.  The point is centered at the
revision of the file that is currently being visited.

>From the change log buffer, the following keys are used to move
between the logs of files and revisions, to view past revisions, and
to view diffs:

@table @kbd

@item p
Move to the previous revision of the file.  A numeric prefix argument
is a repeat count, so @kbd{C-u 10 p} would move backward 10 revisions.

@item n
Move to the next revision of the file.  A numeric prefix argument
is a repeat count.

@item f
Visit the revision indicated at the current line, like typing @kbd{C-x
v ~} and specifying the revision (@pxref{Old Versions}).

@item d
Display the diff (@pxref{Comparing Files}) between the revision
indicated at the current line and the revision before it.  This is
useful to see what actually changed when the revision indicated on the
current line was committed.

@item P
Move to the log of the previous file when the logs of multiple files
are in the log buffer (@pxref{VC Dired Mode}).  Otherwise, the point
just moves to the beginning of the log.  A numeric prefix argument is
a repeat count, so @kbd{C-u 10 P} would move backward 10 files.

@item N
Move to the log of the next file when the logs of multiple files are
in the log buffer (@pxref{VC Dired Mode}).  It also takes a numeric
prefix argument as a repeat count.

@end table

----