Re: 50MB large auto-save file after Emacs crash

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 50MB large auto-save file after Emacs crash
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:43:05 +0200

> From: Stephen Berman <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:27:29 +0100
>
> A few weeks ago, while using a current CVS build, Emacs suddenly
> crashed and vanished without a trace.  At the moment of the crash I
> was using Gnus and scrolling an article buffer with the mouse wheel.
> Since I was not running under gdb, I couldn't retrieve a backtrace or
> anything else to make a useful bug report.

There could be something else useful on your system: the SYSLOG
files.  It sounds like you are running a Gnu/Linux box, so please look
in the SYSLOG files (if you don't know where or how, please read the
relevant man pages first), and try to find any messages related to the
crashed Emacs session.

Also, please make sure your shell setup doesn't disable core dumps
(with a ulimit command).

In general, if Emacs crashes, it should leave behind a core dump file;
if core files are not disabled, then it's possible that Emacs was
either killed by the OS (thus the advice to look in SYSLOG), or it
simply exited.