Re: Document option tool-bar-mode

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Document option tool-bar-mode
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:57:46 -0800

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> wrote:

> Bill Wohler wrote:
>
>       You can turn display of tool bars on or off with @kbd{M-x
>    -tool-bar-mode}.
>    +tool-bar-mode} or by customizing the option @samp{tool-bar-mode}.
>
> The two things above are described as equivalent, but they are not.
> The first is strictly for the current session, the second is usually
> meant to be permanent.  It is @code{tool-bar-mode}, not @samp.

Thanks.

> `customizing' is ambiguous.  It does not consistently refer to the
> Customize interface, but is often used in a more general sense.

Perhaps we should not do that. "Customizing the option foo" is much
cleaner than "saving the variable foo through the Customize interface."

> I prefer the following patch, where the word `variable' still could be
> replaced by `option', depending on what we decide in another
> discussion.   It only talks about turning toolbars _off_ permanently,
> because they are enabled by default in all situations where they make
> sense.
>
>       You can turn display of tool bars on or off with @kbd{M-x
>     tool-bar-mode}.  You can turn tool bars permanently off by putting the
>     line @code{(tool-bar-mode 0)} in your @file{.emacs} file, or by saving
>     the variable @code{tool-bar-mode} through the Customize interface.

A couple of small grammar tweaks:

       You can turn display of tool bars on or off with @kbd{M-x
     tool-bar-mode}. You can turn tool bars off permanently by putting
     the line @code{(tool-bar-mode 0)} in your @file{.emacs} file, or by
     setting and saving the variable @code{tool-bar-mode} through the
     Customize interface.

I still think that "customizing the option @code{tool-bar-mode}" is much