Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:51:22 -0500

    But I would suggest improving find-file to catch the error in switch-
    to-buffer and show the buffer in another window in that case, at
    least when called interactively.

Why do you find it so often useful to invoke Find File
while you're in a minibuffer?

    >  (define-key menu-bar-edit-menu [bookmark]
    > -  '(menu-item "Bookmarks" menu-bar-bookmark-map
    > +  `(menu-item "Bookmarks" ,menu-bar-bookmark-map
    >         :help "Record positions and jump between them"))

    Thanks for pointing this out, maybe that's a bug in the patch. Let's
    leave this particular change out.

Now I understand the context of this question.
Amd I see that menu-bar-bookmark-map has a function
definition the same as its value--that is what makes it
work correctly to use the symbol instead of the map itself.