Re: Problem of auto-fill-mode for wide character

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Problem of auto-fill-mode for wide character
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 16:46:27 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, "Herbert Euler" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello everyone,
> I'm very happy to see that Emacs supports Unicode internally,
> but there is a problem in auto-fill-mode with this modification.
> I'm going to explain why I think it's because of Unicode support.
[...]
> In the current Unicode 2 branch, Chinese characters are inserted
> with the command 'self-insert-command' as ASCII characters.
> This makes auto-fill in Chinese like other languages such as English,
> since "in Auto Fill mode, lines are broken automatically _at spaces_
> when they get longer than the desired width". This is good to
> languages in which words are separated with spaces, but at
> least it's not appropriate for Chinese, because there are _no_
> spaces between Chinese characters. So one can force Emacs
> auto-fill either by inserting spaces or by pressing M-q to invoke
> 'fill-paragraph', both of them is not "natural" in Chinese editing.

> Is my understanding correct? Could somebody help solve this
> problem? Thanks.

Thank you for reminding of this unsolved problem.  The
reason why Chinese characters invoke auto-fill is that they
are not yet registered in the char-table auto-fill-chars.
And why I have not yet done in Unicode 2 branch is that I
don't know any "authorized" information about that.

I've just registered these apparent characters:
  U+3041..U+30FF, U+3400..U+4DB5, U+4e00..U+9fbb, U+F900..U+FAFF,
  U+FF00..U+FF9F, U+20000..U+2FFFF
So, now auto-fill should work for most Han characters.

But, there are many more questionable characters, for instance:
  U+3000..U+303F, U+3200..U+33FF, ...

Do you have some idea about exactly which set of characters
to register in auto-fill-chars?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden