Re: multi-region.el --- Mapping commands over multiple active regions.

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: multi-region.el --- Mapping commands over multiple active regions.
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:58:06 +0100

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

> Here's one idea.  Suppose that region-beginning returned a list of
> region beginnings, and region-end returned a list of region ends.
> That would be a clean way to tell a command that there are
> multi-regions in effect.

Could there be risk here?

Suppose I have three regions:

r1: 10 to 20

r2: 30 to 40

r3: 50 to 60

If I understand your suggestion, `region-beginning' and `region-end',
respectively, would return the following values:

 (region-beginning) => (10 30 50)

 (region-end) => (20 40 60)

Could I, as a programmer, trust that the ordering of those values are
always in sync?

Maybe these functions are only helper functions, and when I need the
*real* end of a region, I will ask for it explicitly using the
beginning of the region as argument?