Re: Removing list identifiers in rmail

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: Removing list identifiers in rmail
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 21:57:04 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> IIRC there are cases where it doesn't do the right thing:
>
> - you receive "Re: [FOOLIST] toto"
> - you rewrite it as "toto"

Actually my change would not rewrite this form.  It would only rewrite
"[FOOLIST] Re: toto" -- but maybe it should!  :)

> - the reply you send says "Re: toto"
> - the mailing-list rewrites it as "[FOOLIST] Re: toto"
> - people who reply to it with most MUAs send "Re: [FOOLIST] Re: toto"

In this case it would seem that you're saying the mailing-list subject
munging is violating the expectations of "most MUAs".  Since I don't
know many MUAs, I have no opinion on this.

If people feel that the simple change to the regexp was a mistake, I
will revert the patch.

The alternative of introducing another regular expression or more code
just to handle jumping to the next or previous message with the "same"
subject, or collecting all the messages with the "same" subject seems
is too complicated for my taste.

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/alex/