Re: current-column and display (space :align-to) properties

From: Michael Mauger
Subject: Re: current-column and display (space :align-to) properties
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:57:38 +0000 (UTC)

Richard M. Stallman writes:

>     Along the lines of a question that arose a couple of weeks ago re:
counting
>     before and after properties when calculating current-column, should the
>     space :align-to and :width properties be reflected in current-column?
>
> I think this is part of the to-do item to write a version
> of current-column that takes account of pixel widths.

Actually, on Dec 22nd, during a discussion with Drew titled "current-column and
invisible text", you said:

> I think that is a bug.  I see two possible meaningful ways to handle
> an overlay before-string: either ignore it, or count its contents.
> The latter seems more correct.
>
> Would someone like to look at this bug, and ack?

I think a basic solution to this (report integer column number with no
accounting for font widths) is needed now (before the release) since many of
the display properties are new and cause inconsistent behavior in some basic
functions.

I've looked at the code, and understand where the changes are needed, but am
not very comfortable with Emacs internals.  I'll take a look and see if I can
puzzle my way thru but my time for it is limited.

-- Michael