Re: Visual cleanup for customize buffers

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Visual cleanup for customize buffers
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:24:53 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Kim Storm wrote:
>
>    - For choice values, replace the old [Value Menu] Value
>      by the more common [Value v] (where v is a "pull down" icon)
>
> I personally find [Value Menu] clearer.

It is not clear to me at all.  Quite often, it is NOT a "value menu",
but rather a "type menu", where you select what type of value to
assign to the variable.

Did you try installing my patch and try my examples (before and after)?

Notably, try M-x customize-option cua-normal-cursor-color and change the
value to "color and type".

>    - Remove the empty line between the [STATE] line and the documentation.
>
> That empty line was added between 21.3 and now.  I do not know the
> reason for that.  It might be because some people thought that the
> empty line made things look clearer,

IMO, it doesn't...

>                                      or it might be related to the
> fact that the widget library sometimes _needs_ blank lines between
> certain types of widgets to function properly.

Wouldn't a space be sufficient?

>                                                 I personally ran into
> some not immediately obvious instances of that.  (Though not with this
> particular empty line.)
>
> I think that it definitely would be a bad idea to remove the line
> without knowing why it was added.  Is this really important enough to
> worry about?

IMO, yes.